Community

Share your thoughts, experiences or questions and participate in discussions over our favorite topic : SCUBA diving!

iSeahorse - Saving seahorses together

by Projectseahorse on July 22, 2014

Seahorses at risk 

Spotting a seahorse on a dive is always is always an exciting experience. They

are just such unique and interesting fish!

Unfortunately because of their unique biological traits they

are also more vulnerable to threats like habitat destruction and overfishing.

Every year, 15 to 20 million seahorses are caught and

traded, dead and alive, all over the world.  In order to better protect

these little guys we need more data on them. This is where iSeahorse comes in!

iSeahorse 

iSeahorse is a tool which absolutely anyone, anywhere can use. 

If you see a seahorse in the

wild, simply go to  the

iSeahorse website http://www.iseahorse.org ...

Read More...

Seahorse Population Survey with Kenna Eco Diving, Costa Brava, Spain

by Ecodiver on July 03, 2014

Many marine conservation research dives this season have involved Kenna Eco Diving volunteer research divers in our Seahorse Population Survey, which is proving very successful and rewarding as we have discovered a breeding population of both European species, Hippocampus hippocampus and H. guttulatus.

To date we have logged and photographed 17 individuals, including several pairs and 12 pregnant males.

More dive volunteers are needed to help with this research. Please get in touch if you would like to help.

You can see videos on our Forum. Please join our community.

Read More...

Great Key Largo Diving on the USCG Duane!

by Sdweller on July 01, 2014

The diving here in Key Largo in June has been about as good as anyone can remember lately.  Flat calm seas have been the norm for about 8 days and counting, and the weather forecast for Key Largo predicts more of the same for as far ahead as they forecast. As most of you know, we now are running more consistantly to the deeper wrecks with the addition of the HMS Minnow to our operation.

The USCG Duane and the Spiegel have been amazing this summer.  First, for those of you who are not familiar…the USCG Duane is a 329-foot cutter that was decommissioned on August 1st, 1985.  The ship was intentionally sunk on November 27, 1987 off of Key Largo, Florida Keys, to create an artificial reef....

Read More...

Kotor in Montenegro

by Chefjoseph on June 30, 2014

First time in Kotor in Montenegro tomorrow.  I would appreciate any recommended dive shops dive sites and advice for a diver on a budget.

Read More...

Diving with the X-15 Monofin Hydrofoil

by Nico Danan on June 19, 2014

I recently took the new Oceanic Omega 3.0 regulator for a few scuba dives in both the Mediterranean sea and Kauai. I really have nothing but good thing to say about this rather small and stylish redesigned and improved regulator. In high currents and challenging workload situation the Omega 3.0 surprised me with a smooth and constant air delivery. Although not a huge fan of side exhaust second stage, the Omega 3.0 won me over taking my stream of bubble away from my face and behind me , opening my field of view while I was cruising the Hawaiian coral reef.

Bringing Speed and Efficiency to Scuba Diving ...

Read More...

Scuba Renaissance With The New Oceanic Omega 3.0 Regulator

by Nico Danan on June 17, 2014

I got the chance to dive the new Oceanic Omega 3.0 regulator check out my review on DeeperBlue.com 

Read More...

Has anyone been to Buddy Dive in Bonaire?

by Jo Corder on June 14, 2014

Greetings fellow divers!My boyfriend and I are relatively new divers and currently saving for our first international dive.  We are considering the Buddy Dive resort in Bonaire.  Has anyone out there been to this resort?  How about Bonaire in general?  Also, if anyone can give feedback regarding the difference between high season and low season, that would be great!Happy Diving!

Read More...

Destinations of Opportunity

by Scuba Steve Colorado on June 12, 2014

There you are... you're traveling for business or visiting your relatives; walking down a boardwalk... and then it hits you... 'I could be diving!'

How often do you take the opportunity to go SCUBA diving when you are traveling for other reasons? Do you avoid packing your gear if you're not going on a 'dive trip' simply because you'd only get one or two dives in anyway?

I know I have. I've been to California and the northeast plenty of times to get some dives in but left my gear at home. Why?

Here are 5 reasons divers lose dive opportunities!

It's too much to carry.

That's not the point of this trip.

The airlines charge too much for checked bags. ...

Read More...

Reef Sharks Mean Healthier Reefs in Key Largo!

by Sdweller on June 08, 2014

Last year divers of Sea Dwellers Dive Center started reporting seeing more Carribbean Reef Sharks on dives on the reefs of Key Largo.  This trend has accelerated this year as divers are now seeing Reef Sharks on almost every reef dive we do. This has come to the attention of other dive vessels here in Key Largo.

This is a good sign, according to what we’ve learned here at Sea Dwellers Dive Center!

According to the conclusion to a study on this exact subject conducted just last year in Australia; “When shark populations in a coral reef system are severely reduced due to commercial fishing, herbivorous fish that graze on algae may also decline. Fewer herbivorous fish to keep algae growth in...

Read More...

Lochaline - UK

by Stuart Knox on May 28, 2014

Has anybody been in Lochaline, UK in the last couple of weeks? I'm heading up there next week and just wondered what the visibility is like those days.

Read More...

Share your experiences, thoughts, or ask a question

WRITE A POST
What's up on Diveboard

Discover how the world is diving

Did you loose your password? Type in your email and we'll send you a link to recover it

required

required too short

too short required