Community

Share your thoughts, experiences or questions and participate in discussions over our favorite topic : SCUBA diving!

DEMA 2014 (Part2) OCEAN GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY

by Kernsart on December 10, 2014

It would not have been a complete DEMA, without visiting the Ocean Geographic Society booth. The artwork and hard work that goes into the production of this eco-oriented magazine, is shown to be a labor of love. The enthusiasm of the folks at Ocean Geographic is catching. Dedicating time and extreme effort, both above and below the surface, to bring stunning photos, and in-depth coverage of the splendor, and devastation that are the world's oceans. Founded in 2007, "It is the mission of the Ocean Geographic Society to kindle the natural compassion of the being by informing and inspiring the citizens of the world to conserve and preserve our natural world." ...

Read More...

DEMA 2014 Las Vegas! (part 1) Dive Pirates. ORG

by Kernsart on December 09, 2014

At DEMA 2014 in Las Vegas, I was honored to meet the wonderful people of Dive Pirates. This group of extraordinary people have come together to make a place for those who have a heart of steel, and a will so strong as to not be broken. What first caught my eye, was a pair of the most colorful pair of pirate pants I've ever seen.(more on these at the end of this piece)  Outgoing and passionate about their roles in the diving industry, President Barbara Thompson, Susan DeVore, Executive Director; Sophie Wimberly, Vice President; and Charlie Oxley, Director of Operations, made an impact on on my stay at DEMA. Their work to bring the joy of diving to injured persons, and war veterans alike,...

Read More...

Share Diveboard with your buddies and win a GoPro Hero 4 every month!!

by Ksso on December 04, 2014

Share Diveboard with your buddies and win a GoPro Hero 4 every month!! You guys are the best ! Since the beginning of Diveboard you've shared over half a million logged dives - this is just mind blowing!!! You've been sharing DiveBoard with your friends and buddies and we thank you for that!

As a way to thank you for your involvement we're launching a monthly contest. Invite your friends to sign up on Diveboard and each signup gets you one entry in a monthly draw to win the latest GoPro Hero 4 Black!

Head to the Homepage through this link and you'll find the referral popup (it will open after a few seconds automatically - just wait for it ! )  which will enable us to track the sign ups...

Read More...

4 Easy Ways To Share Your Passion For SCUBA Diving!

by Scuba Steve Colorado on November 25, 2014

Diving is cool… not just a little bit cool… it’s REALLY cool! Having dive experience and being a part of the SCUBA community makes each of us a member of a fortunate group. The great news is that this group is always looking for new members and as ambassadors of the SCUBA community (aka – SCUBAvangelists) we enjoy drawing people into the sport,  either vicariously through our own dive stories or quite literally by introducing them to diving for themselves.

Here are 4 ways you can share your SCUBA! Dive In to the Under Pressure Dive Blog for more!

Read More...

Use Double Strobes for Macro Photography

by Simon Chiu on October 23, 2014

Why use double strobes for UW macro photography? The following two reasons are my humble opinions about it:

1. Reduce shadow

It's very easy to create shadow when we use only one source of lighting, like the picture shows below. I don't mean shadow is totally wrong or bad for the UW pictures. Shadow can bring more contrast and stereoscopic, however, many details will be lost in shadow.

Last time, I used double strobes to take the pictures of Porcelain Crab. As what we see below, there is less shadow on the subject and the picture is softer.

2. Various Strobe positioning ...

Read More...

Diveboard news: Introducing the Diveboard agent

by Ksso on October 16, 2014

Since the very beginning you've been able to upload dives from your dive computer through the Diveboard plugin that was running within your web browser and connecting to your dive computers. This has worked great so far but came with a few issues such as the lack of an offline mode - you needed to be online and logged in to grab your dive profiles and upload them. Moreover browsers will soon drop the support for plugins like this. So we needed to evolve our plugin towards a more future proof solution. 

So we crated the Divebaord Agent.

Just like the plugin, it will work on Mac/Linux/Windows. The agent lives in the tray and will connect to your dive computer and upload dive profiles to...

Read More...

Diving in Ilhabela

by Laurie on October 15, 2014

Does anyone know of some dive operators in Ilhabela that can take us out and from who we can rent diving equipment?  We would need to go with someone who speaks English.  Thanks so much!

Read More...

Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic

by Silverado on October 02, 2014

I'm leaving for Puerta Plata any suggestions regarding where to dive and with whom?

Read More...

MANUAL Focus with Mirrorless Camera

by Simon Chiu on October 02, 2014

Out of focus again and again!!!

Can't focus underwater by auto mode, why not try MANUAL FOCUS?

I believe many divers who use mirrorless cameras and newly started to take macro pictures have the difficulty to focus on subjects. Using a mirrorless camera without a viewfinder, we have to take pictures by LCD monitor. This is one of the disadvantages of using mirrorless because it consumes battery faster. However, I take it as an advantage because it makes me apply manual focusing more easily.I went diving couple of weeks ago and practiced manual focusing with my Panasonic GF1. The picture below doesn't show clearly what the subject was, but it's a good example of manual focusing....

Read More...

MK25 Cap Issue

by Rudy on October 02, 2014

I realize this may sound petty, but I have a Scubapro MK 25 where I have lost a second plastic cap covering the first stage next to the yoke.

I realize this cap is cosmetic, but the reg does get dinged then in a tight or overhead environment .

Any suggestions?

Rudy P.

Read More...

Share your experiences, thoughts, or ask a question

WRITE A POST
What's up on Diveboard

Discover how the world is diving

Did you loose your password? Type in your email and we'll send you a link to recover it

required

required too short

too short required